Guano Phosphate Fertiliser
Guano Phosphate fertiliser is suitable for pastures, horticulture, arable crops and home gardens.
Guano Phosphate fertiliser is a unique and natural form of guano phosphate, derived from sea bird manure and marine life deposited over many thousands of years. From special sources in Indonesia, Guano Phosphate has a high dicalcic phosphate content making it naturally more available than other types of phosphate rock. It offers key advantages over other natural forms and artificial phosphate fertilisers - it's fundamentally different!
Guano Phosphate fertiliser is Bio Gro certified (no. 5101). Please contact us for a copy of the latest Bio Gro certificate for the Guano Phosphate fertiliser.
Guano Phosphate fertiliser is available in 4kg bags for the home gardener and 25kg and 500kg bags for land owners. Please contact me for pricing.
Availability of Phosphorus
- Phosphorus is one of the main nutrients essential for plant growth
- Plants need Phosphorus in a timely manner but excess phosphate can cause issues with soil biology, plant nutrition and the enironment.
- Guano Phosphate has naturally readily available phosphorus to aid crop establishment and boost clover growth in pasture and also steadily available phosphorus to provide sustained balanced nutrition for plants.
- Guano Phosphate avoids the rapid release of excess phosphate as it has no water-soluble phosphorus.
Benefits to Soil, Plant and Livestock
- Phosphorus may be an essential element but too much at once can reduce the effectiveness of soil biology. Guano Phosphate has phosphorus in the right form to suit phosphate sensitive mycorrhizal fungi. These are fungi that grow in association with plant roots making phosphorus and other mineral uptake more efficient. Plants with good mycorrhizal fungal levels are characteristically more resilient to dry conditions and root diseases.
- While avoiding excess phosphate release on application, Guano Phosphate does allow establishing plants to get their required phosphate for good mineral nutrition. By not coming through in excess, the risk of imbalanced mineral nutrition is reduced for copper, zinc and calcium.
- The readily available phosphate will allow all important crop establishment (where phosphate is often in high demand) and the steady release of phosphate over the growing season will help meet ongoing crop requirements
- Clover in pasture gets the best of both worlds. Readily available phosphate but the right conditions for mycorrhizal fungi to improve this vital plant's phosphate efficiency.
- Guano Phosphate has a pH similar to lime and a high calcium level which can also benefit soil biology and quality.
- Guano Phosphate avoids flushes of excess phosphate levels in the plants while still maintaining good plant productivity. This means livestock get fed well and with more balanced nutrition. Farmers regularly report improved palatability of pasture and fodder crops.
Benefits for Organics and Biological Farming
- Friendly to soil biology and promoting balanced nutrition, Guano Phosphate is natural and organic certified (Bio-Gro No. 5101). Guano Phosphate offers an advantage of more readily available phosphate than possible with reactive phosphate rock (RPR). Thus the environmental and nutritional balance advantages of non-water soluble phosphate can be harnessed while still promoting good timely productivity in crops and pasture. Phosphorus is required for efficient nitrogen fixation and low availability often holds back the growth of clover and other legumes. So phosphorus is doubly important in low nitrogen input organic and biological systems.
- The lack of water soluble phosphate means any risk of phosphate runoff and leaching is reduced. Due to efficiencies in comparison to other phosphate forms, application rates can be made more sustainable to reduce the total amount of phosphorus applied. Guano Phosphate has very low heavy metal (eg. cadmium) content. Fluoride content is also low in comparison to other phosphate products.
- Guano Phosphate has 10% Phosphorus (median 10.28%)
- Citrate soluble phosphorus tests at >40% of phosphorus
- Particle size is small and the material is softer than typical phoshate rock with an organic matter component of around 3.5%
- User and environment friendly alkaline phosphate (pH 8+)
- Available in 3-6mm granule
- Suitable for pastures, arable crops, fodder crops, horticulture
- A mix of immediate and slower release P (annual application)
- Easily blended with most other fertilisers and lime
- Offers a liming effect
- Silica for enhanced plant energy, strength and P availability
- Low cadmium and fluoride levels
- Non water soluble - limited leaching (downward movement) and run-off
- Prevent fixation (lockup) and assist accessing locked up soil phosphorus
Click here for a typical analysis of Guano Phosphate Fertiliser.
The below table is a guideline; soil types, soil conditions, fertiliser history, weather, stocking rates, and expected yield can influence requirements.
|Category||Use Type||Optional Application Rates
|Pasture||Sheep / Beef / Deer / Goats etc.||50 - 150||Can be applied annually.|
|Dairy||120 - 300 (low P or Intensive)||Can be applied annually or bi-annually.|
|Arable||Grass, Seeds, Grains & Brassicas||150 - 300 (low P or Intensive)||Drilling Guano Phosphate down-the-spout is a good option (no seed burn / crop starter).|
|Horticulture||150 - 350 (low P or Intensive)||Apply some time for each crop in rotation annually.|
|Viticulture||75 - 150||Apply annually.|
|Lawn & Turf||5 to 50 grams / sq mtr||Low rate if returning clippings, high rate if removing.|
|Vegetable Garden||15 to 50 grams / sq mtr||Side dressed or spread. Can be worked into soil even close to seeds.|
NOTE: Sowing with Guano Phosphate will not burn seed / Guano Phosphate can be applied using all standard methods / Guano Phosphate is non water soluble meaning limited runoff and leaching.